Thursday, July 12, 2007

Some thoughts on "Back Pain & Your Health"

Welcome to Back Pain & Your Health. This blog is an outgrowth of my efforts to launch a venture-backed spine focused health portal and the personal experiences surrounding this journey. For the past 6 years I have been committed to building companies that are improving the quality of patient care both in the US and abroad. With my recent appointment, I am finally in a position to run a company according to the vision uniqiue to my 35 years of experiences. I am hoping my mistakes and successes can help others with a similar desire to blend entrepreneurship and the public good.

To be frank, I am under no illusions that I have anything particularly brilliant or innovative to say that can not be found anywhere else, but what you will find is brutal honesty and the kind of talk born from a large and loud NJ Italian family. I intend to share with you the mistakes, shortcomings and internal dialogue behind my efforts to build SpineUniverse into a valuable resource for people with chronic pain and spinal diseases.

With that being said, while our particular niche is the spine and chronic pain, I believe our approach to medical education extends beyond our specific set of conditions and treatments to the broader population.

In the upcoming weeks I will begin to catalog:
  • The inequities and inefficiencies in our healthcare system
  • Models for improving the way individuals manage their health
  • The need for a proactive and preventative self-managed approach to healthcare
  • The trials of entrepreneurship: the ups, the downs and the absurdly frustrating
  • Our efforts to launch a medical education company
  • My own struggle to implement preventative strategies for reducing my own back pain

Each of these themes will be supported by interviews, case studies and personal experiences speaking as an individual not as CEO of SpineUniverse.

Expect a post once or twic per week. I hope you join me for the ride.

Warm Regards,

Bill Paquin

No comments: