Friday, July 27, 2007

Launching a new site

Its been about a week since my last post as we have been rolling up our sleeves in an effort to launch new branding and site design for http://www.spineuniverse.com/. It reminds me of when my wife asked me to put a new toilet in our master bathroom then turning around 3 days later with the whole bathroom gutted.

Having finalized a new logo and brand, I am struggling with which ad server to choose. Do we customize an open source solution which is catered to our needs or choose one of the major products on the market like the 24/7 openstream product or DoubleClick's Dart?

Given the size of SpineUniverse I am leaning towards the 24/7 solution rather than overtaxing our internal team any more. Either way it will be an improvement over the existing capabilities, but one is thousands of dollars and one essentially free.

We are constantly trying to balance expense & work load. Despite the money we raised this March, which gives us plenty of cash by which to grow, we are pushing for break even this fall, six months sooner than originally forecasted and in a way that does not limit future growth, so an out of box solution has some value despite being more expensive.

Ah the balancing act of a small venture backed business.

I'll get you the details of my evaluation in the next post. I am off to an ad server demo from 24/7.

Warmest,

BP

No comments: